Thursday, May 7, 2015

Review:: Saga, Volume 2, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Title: Saga, Volume 2
Author: Brian K. Vaughan
Artist: Fiona Staples
Format: Collected Comics Paperback
Rating: ★★★★☆
Previous: Volume 1
It felt like very little happened in Volume 2, but that was a-okay with me because all of that extra time that could have been used to advance the plot was instead put towards making me fall in love with the main characters. Good choice, Saga. Good choice.
There are two vehicles used to further endear me to our protags, who I didn't really feel a connection with last volume: first, the interactions with the in-laws, and second, their narrator-child better explaining the story of how they hooked up and subsequently ran off for a live of crime. Now, I'm sure there are other great ways to do this, but until someone explains to me what they are, I am sticking with these being the best two ways to show characterization.

However, part of me may be biased by how awesome Marko's parents are. Which was kind of sad because I got just as endeared with them and then spoilers-spoilers happened and the narrator-child makes it the most poignant ever with her bit of narration afterwards. (The bookmark thing, for those who've read it.)

Oh, and Fiona Staple's art is just as good in this volume. And Lying Cat is just as amazing. I would still read an entire series about Lying Cat. And if Lying Cat were here, she'd be so annoyed because she couldn't call me out for lying. I'd read volumes upon volumes about Lying Cat. Hrmph.

Pretty much all the side-characters are just still as awesome as they ever were and you get to meet the mentioned-a-few-times fiancée of Marko. She's badass. Not currently on the side of the protags, obvs, but badass nonetheless.

Also really appreciate the love of reading percolating throughout the book. Marko and Alana's relationship hinges on a book, it's clear Hazel loves books, and just books. They're a thing. Also, the author seems very clear on speculative fiction's role to quietly call for revolution and change.

As Isaac Asimov said:
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."
Read Saga

No comments:

Post a Comment