Sunday, August 16, 2015

Review:: The Reptile Room, by Lemony Snicket


Title: The Reptile Room
Author: Lemony Snicket
Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2
Format: eBook
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Previously:
The Bad Beginning

This one felt more like a proper three stars. I greatly enjoyed the premise of having a guardian that was actually a rather nice and interesting person. Plus, the whole Sunny playing with the adorable Incredibly Deadly Viper just made the whole thing for me. However... I'm afraid the series is really going to get repetitive and frustrating.

I guess the problem is that there's really only so many ways you can go with the premise. And the things that allow the premise to work for a short period of time aren't going to work in the long run.

See, I get that it's normal for young adult/middle grade fiction to be full of adults holding the idiot ball. It allows kids to feel like they have agency in situations where adults are failing them. But the level of idiocy going on here is just... off the wall. It's like everyone's being willfully hoodwinked.

I hope that's how this ends. It'd make a lot more sense. Mr. Poe is actually part of the plan all along.

And I get that Lemony Snicket is trying to hang lanterns sometimes, but the extent of hand waving each plot has required so far is pretty immense. And I've already noticed a lack of continuity, going on into the third book.

But let's not get distracted by the third book. This book is pretty cute and I liked it much more than the first one. I'm not sure I'd suggest it, but I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment