Monday, January 8, 2018

Review:: Mark of the Dragon, by JW Troemner

Title: Mark of the Dragon
Author: JW Troemner
Series: Urban Dragon, #1
Rating: ★★★☆☆


Wellwritten, fast-paced, and food-for-thought, the biggest problem with its book is merely that it's simply too short. Luckily for me, there are more of them.

I didn't pick this up for myself. I got it for my dragon-obsessed partner, who is almost done with it, and happily chowing down on it as we speak. I mean, it's about a lesbian who is BFFs (maybe more) with a dragon, who's homeless and dealing with real shit. Of course my partner would love it.

But then I was like, "Hey, it's 66 pages, and then we could talk about it." So I read it. And I liked it, too. I didn't fall in love with it or anything. In some ways, I think it's a little bit too... crude, I guess. I've lived on the streets, and my experiences were rather different. That's not to say that Rosa and Arkay's experiences have to be like my life; I guess it just felt a little bit sensationalized. But then again, it's urban fantasy, so of course it's a bit sensationalized.

Considering it's on Kindle Unlimited, though, and my partner is getting great joy out of it, yes, I would recommend. Especially for people looking for strong female protagonists or fantasy books with LGBT characters. Or an easy fast paced read for a palate cleanser.

I almost rated it four stars, but it just didn't feel like there was enough there to merit it. Which isn't entirely a problem of the content, as much as the size. It feels like a novel condensed into a novella, which was a bit off-putting for me, but others might not care as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment